The Sunday Cardigan

• Afra few of my marlsI've been working on swatches, using Cecelia Campanchiaro's tiny swatch technique I picked up from her interview on Fruity Knitting.  Think I'm going with one dark green and one light blue.  I liked the reds but think I may do a second sweater in all mohair and do reds and pinks.  While I was waiting for needles I got started on a little baby shower gift.  It's my first cardigan, 0-6 month size in worsted- it 's going pretty quickly.  (Gramps from Tincan knits)  I'll get finally get this cast on when I am done with the baby sweater.....

• @Jean Beicher so smart!!!! The pattern is a bit of a mystery!! Sizing wise!

• @paula englander cool! I've always wanted to knit a Gramps!!!

• @paula englander I think you are right, probably won't affect the gauge much.

• A quick question.  I am making the large and am at the point where I am beginning the increases.  there are 7 1 x 1 rib stitcihes on each side.

79 cast on stitches. 

leaves 65 stitches .  The first increase row does a knit/purl pattern that consists of 8 st pattern 8 times.  64 stitches.  But I have 65  Should I skip the last increase to get to the 87 st that I should have at the end of the increases.  Has anyone noticed this?  Does it matter where I skip the increase?  I am thinking in the middle so it ends up on the back. 

al ittle farther on now, second round of increases says it results in 112 stitches, but with the 14 end stitches it totals 126. I can't be the first to notice this.  Are all of the stitch counts off on the large size?  I hope I am not counting this wrong. 

• And it's done! I absolutely love it. So warm and cozy but oh-so light. I procrastinated a long time about the button holes and, in the end, a designer friend of mine did them for me. The colour is gorgeous, too, such a beautiful deep blue. Thank you Kim and Jen for the inspiration -- and the beautiful yarn!

• BEAUTIFUL!!! Aren't they just the comfiest, coziest sweaters - ever!

• @Carey Bermingham looks so cozy and the PERFECT size!!! 🤣

• @paula englander I don't believe they are wrong and someone else did write in but I can't remember how we sorted it out now. It was something with the count.@Kim Doherty-Smith made the large so she might chime in...

• @Jennifer Doherty @paula englander While I was knitting I did have the wrong number of stitches at one point. I just thought I had made a mistake. Since I wasn't counting total stitches as I went around, when I discovered something was wrong that would throw the pattern off, I just K2tog to fix it. It think I did do it on the back somewhere. With all the fluff from the KSH I can't even find where I did it. 

For the next part of your question, I wasn't following the number of stitches in the pattern anymore because I made an adjustment in the total number of stitches when I panicked my sweater wasn't going to have the ease I wanted. So at that point I was just "winging" it....

• Has anyone made the Sunday Cardigan with something other than Kidsilk Haze?  I can't do mohair.  What could you substitute to go with the worsted/aran yarn?

• @Sarah   Do you want the fluff, but just not mohair? If yes, I would recommend knitting the cardigan with our Selkirk /worsted and holding it with one strand of Alpaca Classic. The Alpaca Classic is not quite as fluffy as the KSH but gives a nice halo and is super soft. It's a bit thicker than KSH, so one strand would be enoug with the Selkirk to give a similare squishiness and it comes in a good variety of colours. 

• I choose the Signature - Amethyst Brooch from F & H. Made it longer than the pattern indicated.  Due to covid the  buttons have to wait until I can go browsing in the shops again. 

• Looks great, Elizabeth! Does it fit like you wanted/expected? We talk more about this in our last podcast.

•  

Ok, I'm late to this party, but I'm watching through old summer episodes and I just had an idea! The photo is of the very first sweater I knit last year. It was for my husband, but I didn't realize that fabric quality was something you were also checking when making a gauge swatch. I've since learned and have made a couple successful sweaters. This one is all wrong and I refuse to waste the yarn. I wouldn't try to make him one out of this yarn, but I should be plenty to make a Sunday cardigan for me 😁

The yarn is a sockweight superwash Marino/nylon blend (the origin of my mistake). I'm looking for advice on conditioning the yarn and what colour of kid silk haze I should go with. Dewberry, drab, steel, majestic? They are all so lovely. I'm in Cape Breton so I can't see the two side by side in person unfortunately!

My first sweater that must be frogged.

• @Lindsay Ross Hi Lindsay - To prepare the yarn just unravel the sweater and make hanks. I usually just do this by looping the yarn over my thumb and elbow to make a big loop for a small amount, but if you have a swift, you can use that as well. There is an actual tool - called a niddy noddy which is also for making hanks (skeins). You can look all of this up on YouTube. Be sure to put ties around the skein in at least 2 places to keep the skein from tangling. Then you simply soak your skeins - like you were going to wet block, and let them dry by hanging them up. We put ours in a lingerie bag and spin them in the washer to get most of the water out before hanging. IF you do decide to do this, be prepared as the skeins do get a little bit tangled - DO NOT forget to make those ties.

As for the KSH colour, you will have ot decide. This looks like a dark slate on my computer monitor... you might consider Anthracite as another option. This would give the fluff without changing the colour. All of yoursuggestions are good too. Just keep in mind that when you use another colour with the bse, the final colour will be a blend of the two. For example, Dewberry will give this a purply tone, Dran will give a mossy green cast... all good, but the final result will be different. A great chance to play!

• OK after a VERY long break I have picked up my Sunday caridigan again.  I was down to the ribbing. Now that it is cooler again I am going to get it finished because I really want to wear it this fall.  I am finishing the sleeves and so am so excited to give it a bath and see what the yarn does.  I used this yarn for a pair of mittens from the the Saltwater book and it bloomed so wonderfully.  So the count down is on.

• @paula englander Whooohooo! You will of course post pictures, right?

• @Kim Doherty-Smith willl do.  But right now I have run into a problem.  I have about 10" done on my 1st sleeve and it seems tight.  I decreaed to 40 stitches. for a large size.  I think I may have succeeded in tightening my gauge since I started the project.  Or else it is just too tight.  Do you think I can block it looser or should I take  RIP it back and add more stithces to the pick up?   I think I remember one of you having an issue wihh the sleeve being tight.  Thoughts?